Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bacalhau a Bras for Lent

We don't often see restaurants that serve Portuguese cuisine here in Metro Manila. So far, when I'm asked about Portuguese food, the image of Portuguese Sardines (sardines canned in olive oil and seasoned with chillies, bayleaf and pepper) comes to my mind. I really haven't tried a real Portuguese food.I also have the notion that Portuguese dishes are somewhat close to Spanish cooking since the two are neighbors.



Well, last weekend, I was glad to see Lisboa Portuguese Cuisine in the busy Legaspi Market. Browsing their menu, I was immediately struck with what I want to try. I want their Bacalhau dishes. Bacalhau is a type of salted, sundried codfish, similar to the Filipino daing. I was strucked with their Bacalhau dishes since, during the Lenten week, we Cavitenos also cook a local variety of Bacalhau which we call simply as the 'Bacalao'. However, our local dish is dyed reddish-orange due to the liberal use of the anatto seeds and our dish has its roots from the Spanish influence via the Fort San Felipe in the old Cavite city.

Lisboa offers three kinds of Bacalhau dishes: the Pasteis Bacalhau, which is the Bacalhau fish cakes; the Arroz de Bacalhau, which is the Bacalhau Risotto with garlic onions and tomatoes; and the Bacalhau A Bras, which is what I had. Striking a conversation with the owners, I was surprised to hear that there are many many ways to prepare and cook the Bacalhau. It seems that is delicacy is one of the staples of a Portuguese kitchen.



Bacalhau A Bras is a dish made from shredded Bacalhau, fried strips of potatoes and egg which are then sauteed in olive oil and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. It is served with a cup of rice as a siding.I find the Bacalhau A Bras a delicious dish. It has light flavor and not too oily and 'malansa'. It's really a great and filling Portuguese lunch.

Lisboa also offers other Portuguese delicacies like meat dishes such as Frango Pire-Pires, Carne De Porco Alentejana; seafoods such as Camaron Grelhado, Ameijoas Bulhao Pato; and desserts like the world-famous custard tart, Pasteis de Nata.

Finally, I got to have a real Portuguese food here in Manila. :)
Thanks a ton Mr. Mario and Ms. Arlyn of Lisboa! :)


Cheers!

Lisboa Portuguese Cuisine

Authentic Taste of Portuguese Cuisine
Salcedo Market / Legaspi Market
09175238205

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Enrique,
    Arlene and I are thrilled that you enjoyed our Bacalhau a Bras and look forward to see you in the near future to try our other Portuguese specialties.
    Hope you have a happy and healthy Easter together with family and friends.
    Best Regards

    Arlene & Mario Pires

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome Mr Mario and Ms Arlene!:) Yup, I will comeback to try the other dishes. more power to Lisboa! see you again and happy easter to you also!:)

    ReplyDelete