Monday, May 4, 2009

Chariya: A hole-in-a-wall Thai karinderya

Driving along Reposo St. in Makati brought us to this hole-in-a-wall Thai place named Chariya.
A few nights ago, my friend Venice and I were driving our way to his flat when we happen to see this Thai restaurant.

I stopped, lowered my windows and took a mental picture of the place and promised that I will try this restaurant. Well, last night my girlfriend and I were able to try it. We haven't had Thai food in a while after Sala Thai closed down a few months back so our excitement to have Thai dinner is a bit high.

Chariya has been serving Thai dishes for almost 8 months now.
I was surprised to know that the owners of Chariya are related to the owners of Som's Noodle house.

I haven't tried to eat at Som's yet but after I ate at Chariya, I already have an idea of what Som's has to offer.

We were able to try their Tom Yum Shrimp, Crispy Catfish Salad, Chicken Red Curry and the Cha Yen or the Thai iced tea.

The Tom Yum Shrimp is fine. They have 3 pieces of big, meaty shrimps. Though it has a little improvement to make. I find it too sour. They also should try to add a little coconut milk to the soup to make it not too watery.

Same goes for the Catfish Salad. It has a more soury taste and still lacks the sweet spicy taste that I think it should have. They can also try to add peanuts in the salad garnish.



About the their Red Curry, it's the best dish that we ordered together with the refreshing Thai Iced Tea. I find it delicious and perfect. Just the right hotness of the dried red chillies mixed with the curry. Perfect to be eaten with a cup of steamed rice.

Thai iced tea
Chariya Thai Kitchen is at 1776 N. Garcia (Reposo) St., Makati City

8 comments:

  1. where in reposo st. king? near the church or the italian resto? we always pass N.Garcia st. when we eat at Soms.. sana you took pictures of the actual place..
    if it's related to Soms then it's good thai.. reckon it'll be a good alternative pag box office ang queue sa Soms.. = )

    PS: shushal na ni venice may flat na sya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi paul! actually I want to take pictures of the facade but there were a lot of drinking bouts there so I did not plan to take pictures nalang. :) It's in Reposo St. corner Milagros St., right before you hit JP Rizal if you're coming from the church.

    Try mo sila, I prefer their curries over their tomyum and the catfish salad and the thai iced tea is great!


    shushal na si ventot talaga! :p hihihi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. catfish looks great.. havent tried that b4.. = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoii!!! dinamay mo pa ko sa blog mo!!!
    pero tama ka.... FLAT nga yun... flat na flat eh... wahahahahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiyee basta food bloggie eh sumisilip aketch! hehehe!

    Wow related and owners ng Chariya and Som's? Hmmm... No wonder their menus is somewhat similar BUT you should definitely try yung Som's sa may Mandaluyong. Forgot the exact street eh basta malapit sa simbahan and katabi niya salon. hehe!

    Happy food-hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi chisse! yup theyre related. I still haven't tried Som's but I will soon try it out so I can have the experience :)
    thanks for the note! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. never ka pa nagsom's at rockwell? eh ikaw nagturo sa akin nun bakit di ka pa nakakain dun?

    i know you are sad about the closure of sala thai, pero you know what's gonna replace it?

    SEx! :D

    Sinangag Express!

    ok lang with us kasi there's another alternative for our lunch sa clinic, too expensive kasi to eat at sala thai regularly eh. Lalo na nagclose na yung nakpil chicken (3rd kanto from taft along nakpil) where you can buy quarter chicken, rice, soup and gravy for php55!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi tiners! yep never tried Som's yet haha! surprising! :p I will try it sometime soon and check out their flavor :) ayos pala lagi ka na magse-SEx sa clinic mo eh hahahaha! :p kidding! let's go to the weekend market na! :D

    ReplyDelete